Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017
On 02/08/17 08:16, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-01 23:42, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-01 14:18, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-01 13:34, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

If you do that, then why should I bother to report new bugs if
nobody is going to care, even read it? :-/
Carlos, for the same reason we always have - in the vain hope a
bug
might be picked up and fixed. Having a report closed as "no
longer under maintenance" is not just "somewhat frustrating", it
is extremely frustrating, but what else do you propose we do?
Pursuing a bug for a product that cannot be updated is pointless,
but obviously the reporter is more than welcome to reopen if the
problem persists in a maintained version.
For starters, give some thought to the bug. Did somebody read it,
or was it sent to a non existing maintainer? Then send to the
current maintainer, and let him read it and decide.
I think the number of open reports alone prohibit that approach,
however nice it is.
So if the bug was sent to an incorrect destination, nobody will see
that and new bugs on that area will suffer the same fate in another
five years.
The reporter will also be notified.
But he will not have a clue what happened.
It will all be in the report?

If the number of unhandled bugs is so big, there is something very
wrong going on.
The number of open reports is that big, yes. See the original
posting.
Well, IMHO the important thing is to find out why and correct that
situation... then bub count will slowly diminish.
Why - not enough people that deal with bug reports.
Correction - get more people to deal with bug reports.

In the meantime, try to reduce the mountain by at least closing reports
on versions no longer under maintenance.

I have read that there are people still running 13.1, which is one of
the unsupported systems. What to do with the bugs reported by the people
who are running that particular system (-- and same applies to the other
unsupported systems in the list)?

May I suggest that ONCE THIS THREAD has been discussed and final
conclusions arrived at as to how to handle the bugs that this thread be
also posted in other lists especially 'opensuse' and 'announce' so that
as many people as possible are made aware of this matter. It wouldn't be
a bad idea to broadcast this beyond these mail lists: in the wiki or the
forums, for example.

BC

--
You are NOT entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your
INFORMED opinion. Nobody is entitled to be ignorant.