Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017

On 02/08/17 10:51, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 02/08/17 05:09, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-08-01 14:03, Werner Flamme wrote:
Carlos E. R. [01.08.2017 13:46]:
Carlos E. R. [01.08.2017 13:15]:
On 2017-08-01 12:18, Axel Braun wrote:

I understood that Axel proposed to simply close bugs for unsupported
releases (as one of two possible methods), you didn't quote the other.

I understood your response so that you do not like that because you do
not see why anybody would report a new bug then.

I do not see any connection between opening a bug to a supported release
and closing bugs to unsupported ones. So I thought you were concerned
about opening bugs for discontinued releases. Sorry for that
misunderstanding.
Yes, I think you are getting the idea now :-)

My meaning is that, if I open some bugs which I take time to investigate
and after some years they are closed without anything done with them,
next time I will not bother to report bugs, because reporting is useless.

It only applies to one of Axel proposals, not the other one.

I think what you arguing about is more relevant re another option which
Petr put forward, namely: "Wontfix/Feature: issue is a feature
request/or something that should not be fixed by us".

If it isn't going to be "fixed by us" then who should "fix" the problem
reported by a user?

If it is a "feature" requested by a user then to whom should the user
have reported the feature in order for it to be considered for
implementation?

In both case this is where your comment about "why bother to report
anything if it is going to dismissed out-of-hand" comes in.

BC

Hopefully there isn't too many such reports, generally good maintainers
will have sent the people to the correct place for feature requests or
if they were felling extra nice opened feature requests on there behalf
in the right place.

New features don't belong in our bugtracker in almost all cases anyway.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30