Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017
On 2017-08-01 23:42, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-01 14:18, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-01 13:34, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

If you do that, then why should I bother to report new bugs if
nobody is going to care, even read it? :-/

Carlos, for the same reason we always have - in the vain hope a bug
might be picked up and fixed. Having a report closed as "no longer
under maintenance" is not just "somewhat frustrating", it is
extremely frustrating, but what else do you propose we do?
Pursuing a bug for a product that cannot be updated is pointless,
but obviously the reporter is more than welcome to reopen if the
problem persists in a maintained version.

For starters, give some thought to the bug. Did somebody read it, or
was it sent to a non existing maintainer? Then send to the current
maintainer, and let him read it and decide.

I think the number of open reports alone prohibit that approach,
however nice it is.

So if the bug was sent to an incorrect destination, nobody will see
that and new bugs on that area will suffer the same fate in another
five years.

The reporter will also be notified.

But he will not have a clue what happened.

If the number of unhandled bugs is so big, there is something very
wrong going on.

The number of open reports is that big, yes. See the original posting.

Well, IMHO the important thing is to find out why and correct that
situation... then bub count will slowly diminish.

Felix Miata pointed out that "A good working tracker also depends on
reporters following up". So I had a look at my reports, saw some as old
as 2009, and started reviewing them... From 11 so far, I think I closed
7, pinged 3, and another one I'm studying.

If the bug was reported for an old application, ask the reporter to
please try again on the new release and report back. Leave the bug
as "needinfo", which shows interest.

I like asking the reporter and leaving it with "needinfo", but it is
more work than closing with "no longer under maintenance, please
report if problem persists in a maintaned version".

But that tells me as a reporter that there is no interest on what I
reported from the distribution.

Yes, I know what you mean. I don't like it either. The problem is how
to deal with this huge pile of reports, given a limited amount of
resources, without offending people.

One by one :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,