Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE BugHunting 2017
On 2017-08-01 14:18, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2017-08-01 13:34, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

If you do that, then why should I bother to report new bugs if
nobody is going to care, even read it? :-/

Carlos, for the same reason we always have - in the vain hope a bug
might be picked up and fixed. Having a report closed as "no longer
under maintenance" is not just "somewhat frustrating", it is
extremely frustrating, but what else do you propose we do?
Pursuing a bug for a product that cannot be updated is pointless, but
obviously the reporter is more than welcome to reopen if the problem
persists in a maintained version.

For starters, give some thought to the bug. Did somebody read it, or
was it sent to a non existing maintainer? Then send to the current
maintainer, and let him read it and decide.

I think the number of open reports alone prohibit that approach, however
nice it is.

So if the bug was sent to an incorrect destination, nobody will see that
and new bugs on that area will suffer the same fate in another five years.

If the number of unhandled bugs is so big, there is something very wrong
going on.

If the bug was reported for an old application, ask the reporter to
please try again on the new release and report back. Leave the bug as
"needinfo", which shows interest.

I like asking the reporter and leaving it with "needinfo", but it is
more work than closing with "no longer under maintenance, please report
if problem persists in a maintaned version".

But that tells me as a reporter that there is no interest on what I
reported from the distribution. I have bumped often into people that
refuse to report in bugzilla.

Have a quick look at the bug, decide case per case if something can be
done.

The problem is - the sole reason we have this mountain of reports is
that noone had the time or inclination to do just that.

Well, that is the real problem. The mountain is the symptom.

Why then should I report bugs?

And of course, a process needs to be created to detect bugs with no
activity in long time. Detect when nobody reads a bug, or nobody acts
on it.

We already have something like that - at least I have recently begun
getting a weekly email from bugzilla titled "Your Bugzilla bug list
needs attention.". I think this is when bugz assigned to me have had
no activity for a week.

What happens if you no longer work on openSUSE things, died, or
something? If the address is wrong? The emails are lost unless there is
no supervisor told that there is no progress and who acts.

Anyway, that's for a later revamp of the bug-handling process, we should
probably focus on $SUBJ for now.

Yes, but if we have to do this now, we are doing it wrong the entire
process.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.