[opensuse-factory] ALPM not implemented?
  • From: AW <alexander.willand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 10:15:12 +0200
Hi,

I'm using a notebook with intel gpu. The German website of heise today
published an article, which lamented about the missing implementation of an
important power saving mechanism called ALPM since _years_, see

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Kommentar-Linux-scheitert-an-Egozentrik-3766433.html
(in German),

https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Die-Neuerungen-von-Linux-4-11-3641334.html,

and

https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/42156.html

If implemented, my notebook is supposed to run two hours longer on battery.
ALPM works for other OS since years.

The heise article says, there were a single guy named Matthew who is trying to
fix his patches for the kernel, but no one else.

Is this true? Can the openSuse community help to develop an ALPM
implementation? Many users run openSuse on notebooks.

Kind Regards,

Alexander