Re: [opensuse-factory] TW 20170626: /var/lock gone?
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 14:10:00 +0100
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:

* old filesystem package owned /var/lock
* new package's pre script ran, ensuring the link is in place if
/var/lock would be missing
* new filesytem package was installed (not owning /var/lock)
* old filesystem is being uninstalled, no longer owned files and
directories being removed (hence, /var/lock symlink being deleted as no
rpm is left registered as owner)

Ah, that makes sense indeed.

=> this is the situation that brough you to the current situation. The
only way I can see to remediate this would be to also have a %post
script in filesystem to address this special case - but I'm not sure
it's really worth it

It wouldn't cost much to add it, but prevent some head scratching.
If a similar change happens on a less-fast changing distribution than TW it is
very likely that there won't be a reboot for quite some time, and a missing
/var/lock can mess up quite some things...