Re: [opensuse-factory] TW 20170626: /var/lock gone?
On Fri, 2017-06-30 at 08:30 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

tks, I'm wondering why it *just* became necessary as this is the
first
time I have had to recreate the link, and I sometimes go days with
running
processes using deleted files. but I probably should not update as
frequently as I do :(.

It's because filesystem 'dropped' owning this link which made no sense
to be with it.

filesystem has a %pre script to link /var/lock to /run/locm, but that
runs BEFORE filesystem is being updated, so the order did not catch
here:

* old filesystem package owned /var/lock
* new package's pre script ran, ensuring the link is in place if
/var/lock would be missing
* new filesytem package was installed (not owning /var/lock)
* old filesystem is being uninstalled, no longer owned files and
directories being removed (hence, /var/lock symlink being deleted as no
rpm is left registered as owner)

=> this is the situation that brough you to the current situation. The
only way I can see to remediate this would be to also have a %post
script in filesystem to address this special case - but I'm not sure
it's really worth it

Cheers,
Dominique