Re: [opensuse-factory] TW 20170626: /var/lock gone?
tks, I'm wondering why it *just* became necessary as this is the first
time I have had to recreate the link, and I sometimes go days with running
processes using deleted files. but I probably should not update as
frequently as I do :(.

Indeed.
It looks to me like there should have been a command executed after, an option
on 'systemd-tmpfiles' (see man page), that recreated the directory.

No need for reboot.

--
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions; it only guarantees equality
of opportunity.