Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3
Moin,

On Jun 29, 17 14:30:33 +0200, Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 12:28:38PM -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:
[...]
This would imply that if SLE sticks with Python 2
as the default interpreter SUSE would be maintaining, on their own,
Python 2 for roughly 9 years. I'd say that is unrealistic and thus it is
a pretty good bet that SLE 15 will have Python 3 as the default
interpreter.

So it is not decided what SLE 15 will do?

I'd prefer to go with python3.
python2 packages will most likely be available for a grace period, to make
switching easier.

But this requires two things:
a) The 'Requires python-foo' found in packages need to be changed to
'python2-foo' resp. 'python3-foo'.
b) We need to get the packages having still the 'python-' prefix instead of
'python2-' or 'python3-' adapted soonish.

My current assumption regarding the minor version is that we will go with 3.6.

ciao,
Stefan

--
Stefan Behlert, SUSE LINUX
Sr. Release Manager Enterprise Server

Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany
Phone +49-911-74053-173
(AG Nürnberg)