Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3
On Mon, 2017-06-26 at 15:26 +0200, jan matejek wrote:
Fellow openSUSists,

this has been a long time coming, and I'd now like to start the
actual process of switching the
default Python implementation to Python 3 in Tumbleweed.

First of all, big thanks to everyone who is converting (or has
converted) their packages to
singlespec. That alone makes the Python 3 switch much easier than it
would be otherwise.

Then, details.

When:
* in the coming weeks. I'd like to do some tests and gather feedback
before actually moving forward.
A heads-up e-mail will come before anything is actually headed to
TW.

Why:
* Python 2 is very near its end of life [1], the vast majority of our
stuff already works
in python3. We want to have python3 as default in SLE 15, so now's
a very good time to start.

What will happen:
* `python` package will be renamed to `python2` and will
obsolete/provide `python <= 2.7.13`

Thinks like 'osc' - yes

head -n1 /usr/bin/osc
#!/usr/bin/python

imho, we should leave 'python' as an alias to 'python2' and accept that
if there is no python2 installed, there is no 'python<unversioned>'
available. Keep python3 as python3 and get python4 to be python4.

The only sensible alternative I'd seen in this thread seemed the
variant with u-a - where we could set py3 as default at one point and
make it really easy (by means of yast, using the alternatives module)
to switch back to py2 for the users.

cheers,
Dominique