Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3
On Thursday 29 June 2017, Simon Lees wrote:
On 29/06/17 05:15, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Wednesday 28 June 2017, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 06/28/2017 12:05 PM, Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:55:30AM -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:
Python 2 is not going to be around forever and for better or
worse in some way or another the interests of openSUSE TW and
openSUSE Leap are tied to SLE. SLE has a 10 year life cycle and
having Python 2 as the default python interpreter in 2028 is not
realistic.

I don't see what the SLE life cycle has to do with this.

Well, in 2 years 9 months and 14 days [1] Python 2 will no longer
be maintained upstream.

This is much longer than most other software shipped with SLE will
be maintained by upstream ...

BTW I don't believe that python2 will disappear in 3 years. We will
see.

This would imply that if SLE sticks with Python
2 as the default interpreter SUSE would be maintaining, on their
own, Python 2 for roughly 9 years. I'd say that is unrealistic and
thus it is a pretty good bet that SLE 15 will have Python 3 as the
default interpreter.

It would make more sense to not have /usr/bin/python at all if
python2 is not installed. Pointing it to python3 makes no sense.
The OP already said that using non-versioned shebang *is* broken.
But there are no python3 scripts with non-versioned shebang. So we
would only break py2 users for no reason. That's sooo obvious. I'm
glad that somebody in this thread found PEP 394 to avoid a wrong
decision for SLE/openSUSE.

That is not entirely correct there are a number of scripts that
support both versions i.e. don't care which python version they use
that are using /usr/bin/python in the shebang, so shipping no
/usr/bin/python when python3 is installed will break them.

That's a normal thing, missing a command. So what?
Install /usr/bin/python(2) and the script will work. Nobody would
rename perl to php just because a few perl scripts are valid php and
perl code.

It's nice that you all want to move things to python3. Make sure that
your scripts use python3 ... so that they also run without python2 ...

It's also fine that we will be able to have a sytem without python2
installed. I like it. But please don't rename python to python3. There
is no benefit, that's obvious.

cu,
Rudi