Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3

On 29/06/17 05:15, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Wednesday 28 June 2017, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 06/28/2017 12:05 PM, Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:55:30AM -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:
Python 2 is not going to be around forever and for better or worse
in some way or another the interests of openSUSE TW and openSUSE
Leap are tied to SLE. SLE has a 10 year life cycle and having
Python 2 as the default python interpreter in 2028 is not
realistic.

I don't see what the SLE life cycle has to do with this.

Well, in 2 years 9 months and 14 days [1] Python 2 will no longer be
maintained upstream.

This is much longer than most other software shipped with SLE will be
maintained by upstream ...

BTW I don't believe that python2 will disappear in 3 years. We will see.

This would imply that if SLE sticks with Python
2 as the default interpreter SUSE would be maintaining, on their own,
Python 2 for roughly 9 years. I'd say that is unrealistic and thus it
is a pretty good bet that SLE 15 will have Python 3 as the default
interpreter.

It would make more sense to not have /usr/bin/python at all if python2
is not installed. Pointing it to python3 makes no sense. The OP already
said that using non-versioned shebang *is* broken. But there are no
python3 scripts with non-versioned shebang. So we would only break py2
users for no reason. That's sooo obvious. I'm glad that somebody in
this thread found PEP 394 to avoid a wrong decision for SLE/openSUSE.

That is not entirely correct there are a number of scripts that support
both versions i.e. don't care which python version they use that are
using /usr/bin/python in the shebang, so shipping no /usr/bin/python
when python3 is installed will break them.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30