Re: [opensuse-factory] Why is LibreOffice at 5.4 beta2 version in TW?
  • From: ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 20:24:57 +0100
On Wednesday, 28 June 2017 16:29:30 BST S. wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:07:38 +0200 Richard Brown wrote:
> My guess is because the maintainer thinks it's stable, submitted it,
> and because openQA has tested it and found no problems
>
> Sure looks like it's working to me..
> https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/433060#step/ooffice/5

Well, yes, it "works" of course, in the sense of it opening and allowing
simple "Hello World" documents. But as somebody who lives day in and day
out inside LibreOffice, it doesn't seem like a good idea. LibreOffice
devs know their project best, and they haven't declared it as stable
yet, in fact it's not even at RC. A lot of stuff can go wrong in a beta
release of a vastly complicated program like LibreOffice that openQA
won't catch, depending on the complexity of the document and the subset
of features being used. I'm not saying that there are necessarily any
critical bugs in this particular release, but it just seems strange as a
matter of principal that a development version of software is being
pushed into a stable rolling distro when there is a perfectly good
stable version available for that same software.
I would suggest that those people do not use TW as a desktop for live work, as
its potentially full of software at that level. They need to use a stable
release.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170626
Qt: 5.7.1