Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am I happy that things will be broken, NO. But given that this is
inevitable we might as well get over it, there is no time like the present.

I'm not anti changing the default, but the first thing that needs to
happen is to establish a openSUSE packaging guideline as to when to
use /usr/bin/python, /usr/bin/python2 or /usr/bin/python3.

Then, a way to inform rpmlint (I assume) should be established for use
when the maintainer claims the package is compatible with both python2
and python3.

Then rpmlint (I assume) should be updated to complain about
/usr/bin/python uses that have not been tagged as appropriate by the
maintainer.

And last by not least, a method to scan factory for rpmlint complaints
and send off emails to the maintainer should be implemented.

For now, I have 50+ packages I maintain that likely use
/usr/bin/python and I have no idea if they are python3 compatible. I
have a bunch of testing to do. But if they are, I currently have no
way to inform the community (or myself) that I've tested them and they
are fine as is.

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by