Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:55:30AM -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:
Python 2 is not going to be around forever and for better or worse in
some way or another the interests of openSUSE TW and openSUSE Leap are
tied to SLE. SLE has a 10 year life cycle and having Python 2 as the
default python interpreter in 2028 is not realistic.

I don't see what the SLE life cycle has to do with this. You need
to backport fixes to outdated python code anyway after a couple of
years.

Thus at some point
the switch needs to be made, which means things will be broken. I hate
when things break as much as the next person. But in the end that is the
decision the Python community made.

AFAIK the Python community currently wants /usr/bin/python to be python2.

Therefore we have to deal with it sooner or later.

Now lets argue a bit about why it may be a good idea to do in TW what
SLE is planning to do.
- Lets say TW stays with Python 2 as the default interpreter, i.e. for
now we don't break anything. But SLE switches to Python 3 as the default
interpreter.

What SLE? SLE-15? SLE-16? Is that already decided?

Then when openSUSE Leap Next is released it will have the
default interpreter be Python 3. The result is that the distribution
that is being advertised as close to the cutting edge is using an older
interpreter than the distribution that is supposed to be somewhat behind
in the name of stability. Certainly that will create some kind of
perception problem.

Leap should match SLE, no questions.

- It is inevitable that TW will need to switch the default interpreter
and thus break things. Therefore we might as well do it now.

That's a pretty weak argument.

- Last but not least there is the human factor. We all know how things
go, even if we make a big announcement and say "in one year from today
we will switch to Python 3" 98% of the scripts that will break because
of this will still be in the same state a year from now because people
will not make any changes until things are broken.

It really depends on what's planned for SLE-15. If project management
wants /usr/bin/pyhton to be python3 for SLE-15, I'm all for doing
the switch right away. If it is just planned for SLE-16, I', for
waiting a bit so that 3rd party applications don't break.

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder mls@xxxxxxx
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg