Re: [opensuse-factory] Can't play mp3 files in Amarok
On Wed, 2017-06-28 at 09:53 +0200, victorhck wrote:
Hello!

After lastest updates in Tumbleweed I can't play mp3 files with
Amarok
or Clementine, but VLC works fine.

If I launch Amarok via CLI I get this:
"Phonon::GStreamer::Backend: Failed to initialize GStreamer
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect Phonon::MediaObject ( no
objectName ) to Phonon::AudioDataOutput ( no objectName ).
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect Phonon::MediaObject ( no
objectName ) to Phonon::AudioOutput ( no objectName ). "

With Clementine I get this:
"GStreamer could not create the element: audioconvert. Please make
sure
that you have installed all necessary GStreamer plugins (e.g. OGG and
MP3)"

Gstreamer has recently been updated to version 1.12 - with mp3 codec
actually part of the default set now (no more need for the e.g. the
fluendo codec pack)

You should have gstreamer-plugins-ugly installed though (that contains
the mp3 codec)

I'd start with first finding out if we have to look at gst itself or
rather a frontend mis-using the backend.

does the music play with: gst-play-1.0 /path/to/file.mp3
that would mean gst itself is fine and has the codecs found.

Also, you can try to paste the output of
gst-inspect-1.0 | grep mp3

that should at least contain the output
mpg123: mpg123audiodec: mpg123 mp3 decoder

If gst-play itself works (and the codec would thus be found by gst), we
have to look further up the stack into e.g. phonon and clementine to
see what is up there.

cheers,
Dominique