Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3

On 27/06/17 17:02, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Mon, 2017-06-26 at 15:26 +0200, jan matejek wrote:
Fellow openSUSists,

this has been a long time coming, and I'd now like to start the
actual process of switching the
default Python implementation to Python 3 in Tumbleweed.

I'd like to point to https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/ again...

"""The main barrier to a distribution switching the python command from
python2 to python3 isn't breakage within the distribution, but instead
breakage of private third party scripts developed by sysadmins and
other users. Updating the python command to invoke python3 by default
indicates that a distribution is willing to break such scripts with
errors that are potentially quite confusing for users that aren't yet
familiar with the backwards incompatible changes in Python 3."""

is openSUSE *REALLY* the distro that is willing to break user scripts?

This is probably the wrong question to ask, A better one probably is
anyone willing to maintain python2 in openSUSE post 2020 when it goes
end of life? This gives us 2.5 years to try and make the migration as
smooth as possible so starting now is probably a decent idea.

Users have already had 9 years to migrate I suspect if they haven't
started yet there probably not going to bother until stuff starts
breaking anyway, unfortunately we can't do much about users but yeah we
should try and get our stuff in as good a shape as possible before doing
the switch.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30