Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3

On 06/27/2017 10:00 AM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 06/27/2017 09:32 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Mon, 2017-06-26 at 15:26 +0200, jan matejek wrote:
Fellow openSUSists,

this has been a long time coming, and I'd now like to start the
actual process of switching the
default Python implementation to Python 3 in Tumbleweed.

I'd like to point to https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/ again...

"""The main barrier to a distribution switching the python command from
python2 to python3 isn't breakage within the distribution, but instead
breakage of private third party scripts developed by sysadmins and
other users. Updating the python command to invoke python3 by default
indicates that a distribution is willing to break such scripts with
errors that are potentially quite confusing for users that aren't yet
familiar with the backwards incompatible changes in Python 3."""

is openSUSE *REALLY* the distro that is willing to break user scripts?

Can we make /usr/bin/python smart to know if it was started as part of a
shebang
and output a warning?

Such a warning could be good.

But it doesn't matter whether it's a shebang or not. I know many
existing cron jobs or other job scripts which are shell scripts using
"python xyz.py". Also many tutorials and examples on the web are still
teaching python.

cu,
Rudi