Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3
On 06/26/2017 10:01 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there a way to check all packages for unversioned python shebangs?
(Install and grep them all, add a rpmlint check, whatever?)

After collecting this information, contact the package maintainers and
ask them to fix the shebang (ideally by putting py3 there ;-)

That would be much better (and less painful) than finding all the
breakage after doing the switch ;-)

+1

Even if I wanted to be proactive I suspect I support 50 or more
packages with python involvement. Some form of automated tool to make
sure all is well is pretty important.

Also, please think about the users. Users who use python3 already now are
using "python3" explicitly. Python2 users (I guess still majority in some
fields) may just use "python" and we will break them. So from the user's
view, renaming things will not improve anything but may break any user
script with non-versioned shebang.

FYI I have access to a very large SLE cluster. There are many users
running "python" jobs and they expect python2. Let them survive the
update!

cu,
Rudi