Re: [opensuse-factory] Switching default python to Python 3
this has been a long time coming, and I'd now like to start the actual process
of switching the
default Python implementation to Python 3 in Tumbleweed.

Awesome work, super excited about finally having Python 3 as the default!

What will happen:
* python packages in patterns will be replaced by the corresponding python3 one
* python packages that are not yet converted to singlespec will switch over to
python3.
Some of them will magically continue working, others will break
Is there a plan for python-* packages and how they are going to relate to the python3-* set of packages? By which I mean, if I want to install python-numpy will that install the py3 or py2 version? Or is that all handled by singlespec?

As an aside, when is the plan to merge the two wiki pages[1,2] for Python packaging? I ask because I remember trying to package Python a while ago and I don't remember the tiny mention of single-spec in the main page.

* note that if a script is using "/usr/bin/python" as shebang (or worse,
"/usr/bin/env python"),
it's already wrong. The shebang must be versioned, unless the script
actually works
with an arbitrary python version

Quick question, is "#!/usr/bin/python3" better or worse than "#!/usr/bin/env python3"? I've always used the latter in my own projects because it avoids weird distros breaking scripts.

[1]: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Python
[2]: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Python_Singlespec

--
Aleksa Sarai