Re: [opensuse-factory] Can't mount fat32 USB sticks anymore
  • From: Pierre de Villemereuil <flyos@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:28:56 +1200
Hi,

Just to let you know that I could reproduce using the following protocol.

1- Download the Leap ISO, I used the NET install image from:
https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap
2- Plug a USB key and copy the ISO on the USB key using:
sudo dd if=/home/pierre/Downloads/openSUSE-Leap-42.2-NET-x86_64.iso
of=/dev/sdc bs=4M status=progress && sync
3- Unplug & Replug (probably not necessary...)
4- Open Gparted, remove partitions on the USB key (don't touch the partition
table!), create a new one in FAT32, put a label of your liking (say "MYLABEL").
This was a bit brutal and not cautious, but it creates roughly what you need, a
formatted USB stick.

This result in the following different behaviour in Leap and Tumbleweed:
- In Leap, when you plug the USB stick, Plasma reads a USB device named
"MYLABEL" and mount it without problem. Gparted sees it as a FAT32 partitioned
device, as does fdisk.
- In Tumbleweed, when you plug the USB stick, Plasma reads a USB device named
"openSUSE-Leap..." and can't mount it. Gparted sees it as a ISO9660 partitioned
device, but fdisk sees it as a FAT32 partitioned one.

That's all I could think about. I'm keeping the USB stick as is if you want me
to run some more tests (Leap I can do only at work during the day).

Cheers,
Pierre.