Re: [opensuse-factory] Can't mount fat32 USB sticks anymore
On 2017-06-25 02:55, Pierre de Villemereuil wrote:
Oh, yeah, forgot to say, I tested different USB keys (all FAT32), they all
behave the same. All where used to host a live USB though... Another thing is
that they all work on another laptop with Linux Mint installed.

I managed to find a key that worked. The main difference of that key is that
it's a USB3-compatible one. It might that it was erased "better" than the
others after hosting a live USB, though I don't remember doing anything
different with it.

If it helps, Gparted recognise the partition of the USB sticks not working as
"iso9660" (I'm positive they're in fat32 and they are recognised as fat32 on
the other laptop), while the USB stick that is working is actually recognised
as a fat32.

Ah, then, that hitches it.

I'm clueless about what's happening... Thanks for your help!

The issue is that the areas that the system uses to recognize an ISO
image as an ISO image were not deleted or overwritten because they
occupy different sectors than those overwritten when the media was
formatted again as FAT. Remember that nowdays "format" means "fast
format", ie, only the structures needed for FAT (in this case) are
initialized, the rest are left intact. This usually means the data
sectors are intact, but in this case the metadata for the iso and the
fat do not use the same sectors so were not erased.

Very probably the information is in the partition table or following few
sectors.

I would backup each stick, erase a bunch of raw sectors at the start of
each stick - say 200 MB - and then partition-format as FAT again, and
finally reload files from backup.

Maybe someone remembers the thread where this thing happened some years
ago and what steps were taken to investigate; might be mail list or forum.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.