Re: [opensuse-factory] mysql-community-server no longer in TW?
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 12:50:21 +0200
On 22 June 2017 at 12:23, Bjoern Voigt <bjoernv@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard Brown wrote:
On 22 June 2017 at 11:39, Bjoern Voigt <bjoernv@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
Message:
Noone is interested in maintaining this anymore.
How much extra work is it to maintain MySQL for Tumbleweed? MySQL must
be maintained for SLES and Leap anyway.
MySQL is not available in SLES 12

https://www.suse.com/LinuxPackages/packageRouter.jsp?product=server&version=12&service_pack=&architecture=x86_64&package_name=index_all

Therefore your assumption that MySQL must be maintained for SLES and
Leap is invalid, Dominique's point remains:
If someone wishes to maintain a MySQL package in the openSUSE
distributions, someone needs to do the work.
No, MySQL is officially available for SLES 12:
https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/

These packages are not 'offical' SUSE or openSUSE packages

They are provided by Oracle/MySQL, from Oracle/MySQL servers. If you
want Oracle to add Tumbleweed support to their packages, I would
suggest you contact them.

The Oracle and SUSE/openSUSE MySQL repositories are connected, because
all are based on the same Gibhub project. The build service repositories
use generated RPM files from this project:
https://github.com/openSUSE/mysql-packaging

I do not see how you establish a link between the mysql-packaging
github project. I am under the impression that generator is used to
generate our mariadb specfile used for our mariadb packages in
openSUSE.

If the rpms produced by Oracle/MySQL on the URL you provided above
also use the same generator, that's cool, but shouldn't be read that
they somehow magically become official SUSE/openSUSE packages in that
case.

The only official source of SUSE packages is SUSE's repositories, and
the only official source of openSUSE packages is openSUSE's
repositories, each signed with the respective GPG key of their
respective organisations.

I would take over this work, but last time I had some problems with the
generation scripts, so I would need some more experience with them.

Well I think it would be cool if you try, you definitely need to be
sure about the details of what you're getting yourself into. Good
luck!