Re: OT: Userfriendliness of mailing list, was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 42.3: Only GTK apps start, all others segfault at startup
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 17:56:41 +0200
Op maandag 19 juni 2017 15:55:10 CEST schreef Michal Suchánek:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 15:26:22 +0200

Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Op maandag 19 juni 2017 14:56:01 CEST schreef Michal Suchánek:
On the other hand, forums are one huge useless inaccessible archive
which works really hard to prevent anyone from accessing the data it
contains. It is considered a feature that users cannot access some
posts so you cannot export them in an usable way without breaking
the usage paradigm that administrators can limit access to posts.
And if you want to see a forum without access limitations there is
at least one - it's called 4chan ;-)

Sorry to say so: saying so about social media like Facebook, G+ is
OK, but this is not true for (at least) the openSUSE forums.

site: forums.opensuse.org 'searchstring' in Google search

I exclude the "site: forums.opensuse.org" and if it happens to give
SUSE forum results or Ubuntu forums results that look useful that's
fine with me.

search function of the forums works fine too.

Not for me. I was not able to locate posts which the above method
pointed out and turned out useful.

For example
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/439173-prevent-an-update-from-bei
ng-installed-(zypper-package-locks) talks about package locks but when I put
"package locks" in the
forum search field and press search I get no results. This is not
surprising at all. All forums I have used so far have broken search
feature.

Thanks

Michal

I even dare to say that for a lot of people forums are more
friendlier. All the subforums, different languages, an openSUSE
version tagging sysotem, moderators that point out to new users how
to create decent posts, and, last but not least NNTP access for those
who don't want to use the web-interface.

NNTP access is nice. However, to not split the community in forum users
and mailing list users it would be helpful to bridge that NNTP to
mailing lists as appropriate. Unfortunately, mailing lists do not have
the NNTP delete feature or the ability to move posts from one mailing
list to another by a moderator. So it would require that people on the
forums use more common sense than is commonplace in forums when posting.

Thanks

Michal

Fair enough. In the end a matter of personal preference, use what you're most
comfortable with.
--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member