Re: OT: Userfriendliness of mailing list, was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 42.3: Only GTK apps start, all others segfault at startup
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 15:05:54 -0400
Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
* Larx <throwaway@xxxxxxxxx> [06-18-17 14:08]:
[...]

I just wanted to state how I'm feeling when trying to participate
in openSUSE. It does not really make fun this way, I'm already
feeling that I'm wasting too much time which I could use better.
And I could imagine others feel like this, too, while other
distros offer easy-to- use interfaces to their community.

and if I visited your home and told you that your living room couch
and end tables would look much better facing the other window and
the lamps were not complementary of your decor, you would probably
be pissssssed. why do you think it is ok to do the same to openSUSE
users? what do you think the response world/will be?

try and be just a little considerate, NEW-COMER.

That's not nice at all. If anything, newcomer feedback is tremendously
more important than old-timers when it comes to these kinds of things.
If the goal of openSUSE is to draw in users to become contributors,
you can't act like that and expect people to want to stay.

If there are people who enjoy wading through walls of text broken
arbitrarily into 'topics' and 'pages' there exists mailing-list to
forum gateway software. You get at least one outsourced at google called
Google Groups and there is at least one opensource which somebody who
cares enough can set up and maintain - it is used by the Ruby language
mailing list.

Heck, in Fedora, we *developed* HyperKitty and Posterius for Mailman 3
specifically to address this pain point.

Archives that are useful before you transfer them to your local
harddisk and index them locally are desirable, sure. Still most mailing
lists provide somewhat usable archives in the form of monthly mbox
files which you can merge locally.

On the other hand, forums are one huge useless inaccessible archive
which works really hard to prevent anyone from accessing the data it
contains. It is considered a feature that users cannot access some posts
so you cannot export them in an usable way without breaking the usage
paradigm that administrators can limit access to posts. And if you want
to see a forum without access limitations there is at least one - it's
called 4chan ;-)

Thanks

Michal