Re: [opensuse-factory] Userfriendliness of mailing list
On 19/06/17 12:40 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
Larx composed on 2017-06-19 06:06 (UTC+0200):

That argument sounds really 90ies, sorry to say that. Any forum since dozens
of years is customable, you subscribe only to the subjects you like, you can
get tailor made email digests etc..
Email needs to be customized, if at all, once only.

Indeed!

If I decide to plonk! some Furby using my mail filters then said Furby is
plonk!ed on all the mailing lists I subscribe to, all in one go.

To do that on a web based forum system its step-and-repeat for each one, and if,
perhaps, I join a new of follow a new topic on G+ then I have to do it all over
again.

Each forum has different interfaces for customizing to learn, and *must* be
separately customized, without exception, as they're all designed for people
who
enjoy 85th percentile or better vision, using little browser windows that only
fill 1/3 or less of a screen. The need often repeats as each's admin sees fit
so
replace its "worn" or "obsolete" styles with "new and improved" styles that
reduce its site's usability, and obsolete existing ad blocker settings.

It's bad enough when I'm out and about -- and with a cap on my limited bandwidth
-- trying to read web sites on the phone. At least some, wikipedia for example,
has a 'mobile' mode that dispenses with the bandwidth consuming eye candy.

often enough, email is lower bandwidth, and with IMAP I can avoid downloading
the bodies for messages I don't want to see.

The downside to email in the 21st century is the idiots who insist on sending
HTML email with decorations, attachments, 'eye candy'. All gratuitous.

At least on my PC I can set "show text only" in Thunderbird, but my email
readers on my phone aren't quite sophisticated (read 'user oriented') enough.
Developers for the mobile market are still hung up on graphics.

--
The trouble with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.