Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 42.3 and Kernel
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 17:20:57 +0200,
Larry Finger wrote:

On 06/18/2017 05:42 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-06-18 07:38, Karl Cheng wrote:
On 17 June 2017 at 22:39, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don't expect it.
This is one of the effects of basing Leap on SLES.

Well that doesn't necessarily mean Leap *must* have the same kernel
(e.g. 42.1), but I would agree that it's unlikely we'd see a kernel
update at this point in time.

Well, basically it does :-)

It is not the exact same version, though.

Although Leap42.3 is using a 4.4.X kernel, it does have some fixes
ported from later kernels so that it can support newer hardware.

Right, there are tons of patches, namely Leap 42.3 has ca 16,000
patches on top of vanilla 4.4 kernel.

Also, the update of the whole KMS graphics stack is provided via
drm-kmp for Leap 42.3, instead of yet another a few thousands of
backport patches. It'll be automatically drug onto system via rpm
supplements tag for the corresponding hardware.

Note that the package description of drm-kmp shows "the update for
kaby lake", but it's not true, it's the update for the whole
graphics. The fix of the package description is already in queue.

Takashi