Re: [opensuse-factory] TW - zypper hangs while checking for file conflicts
On 09/06/17 04:45 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
On 06/09/2017 03:35 PM, Roman Bysh wrote:
> On 09/06/17 01:15 PM, Sudhir Anand wrote:
>> On Thursday, 8 June 2017 10:55:18 BST Mykola Krachkovsky wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > You don't need full kernel-source to compile NVidia drivers, just headers
>> > from kernel-devel is well enough.
>>
>> I was not aware this was the case, thinking that to install Nvidia driver
>> required both kernel-source and kernel-devel. I removed kernel-source and
>> Nvidia drivers installed without any problems.
>>
>> As kernel-source package has been removed, hopefully zypper's file conflict
>> check should run much quicker.
>>
>> Thank you for your tip.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
> Does VirtualBox still work without the kernel-source?

VirtualBox has no need for the kernel source. If you need to build the modules
because you are using something other than the default, then
'sudo /sbin/vboxconfig' is the command you need It will install the appropriate
VB host or guest source, gcc, and kernel-devel for your kernel
and build the modules.

Larry

Thanks so much for the information. Here I was always installing the
kernel-source
and it wasn't needed for my specific requirements.