Re: [opensuse-factory] Splitting the remaining rpm macro's out of the rpm package
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 20:57:35 -0400
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 8:46 PM, Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

To make things easier to manage I'd like to split the remaining rpm
macro's out of the rpm package and into a separate rpm-macros-SUSE
package, which would then be required by the rpm package. This will
particularly make life easier should we want to add new macro's during
the SLE / Leap 15 lifecycle etc.

Any thoughts / opinions?

YES! This is generally a good idea. In fact, Red Hat/Fedora does the
same thing with redhat-rpm-config[1], and Mageia similarly does with
rpm-mageia-setup[2][3].

It always amazed me that this hadn't happened years ago with
SUSE/openSUSE. This should also make building, testing, and releasing
new versions of rpm into the SUSE family much easier.

[1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/redhat-rpm-config.git/
[2]: http://gitweb.mageia.org/software/rpm/rpm-setup/
[3]:
http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/rpm-mageia-setup/current/SPECS/rpm-mageia-setup.spec?view=markup