Re: [opensuse-factory] out of curiosity - / grow from 10 to 12GB
On 06/05/2017 11:56 AM, Peter Mc Donough wrote:

I haven't used LV lately, but if I remember correctly, no matter what
you do with LV, for booting an OS you need a physical boot partition,
which can luckily be in an extended partition but not in a LV.

I don't think that's correct.

I'm using an LVM because of crypto. So I have an encrypted LVM.

I boot Tumbleweed in the encrypted LVM. And "/boot" is part of that
encrypted LVM.

This is UEFI. There's some boot code in the EFI partition that knows
how to prompt for encryption key and access the encrypted LVM to get to
"/boot". I think that also works for MBR booting, as long as grub is
installed in the MBR and there is enough free space between the MBR and
the first partition.

The downside of having "/boot" part of the encrypted LVM, is that I have
to give the encryption key twice -- first time for grub2, and second
time for the kernel.