Re: [opensuse-factory] out of curiosity - / grow from 10 to 12GB
On 05/06/17 06:12 AM, Peter Mc Donough wrote:
Well, yes, it is that, but I use if even on single drive machines for
"deferred
design", that is, I don't need to make hard and fast space allocation
provisioning up front. or correcting an imbalance: too much given to one FS
and
not enough to another. Or a Thin Pool :-)

Good, but the question is, do you really need different system-partitions or
is
is just because you are used to it?

Are you an Archetypal-Irish to answer a question with another question?

I don't know what you mean by "different system-partitions", and you still
haven't begun to explain how or why SSD partition management or space management
is superior to LVM?

There are many justifications to having 'containers': security, backup,
conceptual boundaries, packaging. I've discussed many of my personal reasons
for LVM and for the size partitions & pools I use many times on this forum, and
many people have bloged, written academic articles and given presentations back
and forth over this.

To paraphrase someone from the security arena, there are two philosophies for
security/robustness: one is to compartmentalise, replicate and work on the
assumption that any single loss is not crippling; the other is to 'put all your
eggs in one basket' and watch the basket very carefully.

I'm a proponent of the former.

--
There is no legitimate religion apart from truth.
--John Calvin