Re: [opensuse-factory] out of curiosity - / grow from 10 to 12GB
Am 05.06.2017 um 05:13 schrieb Anton Aylward:
On 04/06/17 01:03 PM, Peter Mc Donough wrote:
How big is your disk drive, overall?

Really big enough.
I have three OS on a 250GB SSD, each with 20GB for / and 10GB for /home plus SSD
space for virtual machines, plus 1TB HDD for all that for which an SSD could be
useful but is not yet cheap enough to retire the HDD.

So you've got a lot of rust.
But what part of this pertains to the system under discussion?

By deduction, it can't be the one of the three on the 250GB SSD since you say
they have 20GB for /. Your /home seems starved.

No, the "secret" is a second "home" on the HDD for data which is mostly not dependent on any distribution (music, photos, documents)
All that is left on /home are just the files which are specific to that OS, everything else is linked to the HDD.

An example: I write this on Xubuntu, of its 20GB about 41% are used for / and just 9% of 10GB for /home with 2 users.

Tumbleweed uses 62% of its 20GB for / and for /home 18% of its 10GB, again with 2 users, more occupied space because I use with Tumbleweed more programmes.
The Suse / was usually around 50%.

or do you mean that its actually 10G used on a 20G allocated?
Please show a "df -h" rather than a "du"

Its my pleasure:
root@xbu-lux:/home/peter# df -h /vol/openSuse/root_sda1/
Dateisystem Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
/dev/sda1 20G 12G 7,2G 62% /vol/openSuse/root_sda1

and for good measure (thank you Berhard)
root@xbu-lux:/home/peter# du -t +1G -xHh /vol/openSuse/root_sda1/
1,1G /vol/openSuse/root_sda1/var
2,5G /vol/openSuse/root_sda1/usr/lib64
1,6G /vol/openSuse/root_sda1/usr/src
1,1G /vol/openSuse/root_sda1/usr/share/texmf
3,5G /vol/openSuse/root_sda1/usr/share
8,8G /vol/openSuse/root_sda1/usr
12G /vol/openSuse/root_sda1/

And I notice, what ist .../share/texmf?
I don't use TeX, is that regularly installed?

Well, yes, it is that, but I use if even on single drive machines for "deferred
design", that is, I don't need to make hard and fast space allocation
provisioning up front. or correcting an imbalance: too much given to one FS and
not enough to another. Or a Thin Pool :-)

Good, but the question is, do you really need different system-partitions or is is just because you are used to it?

With a single
SSD the procedure has changed, you simply take away space from one partition and
allocate it to an other.
Well, that's one way of describing what you do with LVM :-)
And with LVM you can do it with a running system and with mounted file systems
that are in active use.
So how has the procedure changed with SSD? You have to stop the machine,
repartition and then reboot type of changed?

True, that is really an important difference.

cu
Peter