Re: [opensuse-factory] out of curiosity - / grow from 10 to 12GB
On 06/04/2017 11:08 AM, Neil Rickert wrote:
On 06/04/2017 08:29 AM, Peter Mc Donough wrote:

Addition: This is fresh "KDE-Tumbleweed" from around Nov. 2016, with one
"/" and one "/home" partition, both on ext4.

Okay. I'm now looking at a desktop, at around 10G. It was installed
Nov 30, 2016 (I'm going by the date of "/lost+found". It was installed
originally as snapshot 20161128 (I'm going by the name of the repo that
was the install media).

This one is at near 10G. It has KDE, Gnome, MATE, XFCE and LXQt
desktops installed.

"/home" is part of "/", but is small. It mainly has symlinks to my real
home partition mounted at "/xhome". I do that to avoid fights between
Tumbleweed and Leap for desktop settings.

From "/usr"

# du -s *
747304 bin
77260 include
788024 lib
3963684 lib64
3316 local
66932 sbin
3312956 share
240128 src
0 tmp
8 X11R6
16 x86_64-suse-linux

I do not have kernel sources installed. That might be significant.

I think you might be seeing the effect of Parkinson's law for software
bloat -- "Software expands to consume all available disk space".

On my system with ext4 partitions. /home and /var have their own partitions:

finger@linux-cj1t:~/rtlwifi_sync> sudo du -d 1 -x /
[sudo] password for root:
2352 /bin
28428 /etc
2111172 /lib
16 /lost+found
1388 /srv
13576 /lib64
7710532 /usr
4 /opt
4 /mnt
4 /selinux
331484 /boot
8724 /sbin
1316 /tmp
10720 /root
10219724 /

The only desktop installed is KDE, and 3 kernels are installed. When I first did the du command, my usage was 11.7 GB. The difference is that /lib/modules had entries for 3 kernels that had been deleted from /boot. That is a place to check.

Larry