Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed 32-bit support lifetime
On Fri, 2017-06-02 at 19:20 +0000, Christopher Myers wrote:
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but -- how long is
the 32-bit version of Tumbleweed going to be supported with new
patches? I'm just curious because Leap and SLE are only 64-bit.

I hold it like this with i586: as long as I can without alienating the
entire distro.

One thing needs to be said clearly here though: the test coverage is
only on x86_64 - on i586 we just have a couple minimal tests left in
openQA. So in the end, we know it builds and is 'generally installable'
. Any test beyond that is not covered (and, as we just have seen with
Thunderbird: a fix that worked for x86_64 did not cover i586). Of
course we will try to fix even that problem.

In plus, it depends what upstreams offer to us. IIRC, Firefox actually
announced to no longer support building for i586 with one of the next
versions - now, 'not supporting' can mean it still works for now, but
if it breaks, bugs are unlikely to be fixed by upstream. In this case
it is up to the openSUSE community to make it happen.

Cheers,
Dominique