Re: [opensuse-factory] Tallying the quality of package descriptions

On 05/19/2017 12:30 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
On Thu, 2017-05-18 at 16:42 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Thursday 2017-05-18 16:38, Andreas Färber wrote:

Hi Jan,

Am 18.05.2017 um 14:05 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:

I just felt like hacking up, and now sharing, a script to gauge
where there is
overly much advertisement language in the descriptions of
openSUSE TW packages.

I feel it would me more helpful to have some easily accessible
guidelines with good vs. bad examples for new packages being
added...

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Package_description_guidelines ?

rpmlint forces people to write or copy BS simply because minimal
no-BS
descriptions result in length warnings.

rpmlint is practically useless - people complete ignore it, even
for trivial things like "summary must not end in dot".

You mean those 51 packages:
http://rpmlint.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Factory/x86_64/standard?rule=summa
ry-ended-with-dot

Let's clean this up and change rpmlint from a warning to an error :)
That will teach people.

Cheers
Dominique

See my thread in the buildservice list the other week about making
packages with rpmlint show up in status areas in yellow with "Warning"
rather then in green with "Succeeded", there are many rpmlint warnings
that people ignore, but yes this should be a error, it takes 2 seconds
to fix.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30