Re: [opensuse-factory] My GPU seems to be on its last legs
On Wed, 10 May 2017 14:26:59 -0400
Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Michal Suchánek composed on 2017-05-10 19:33 (UTC+0200):

Nouveau is broken. You had to agree to it when you
installed it.

By this do you mean xf86-video-nouveau?

At the moment you see LianLi kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: gr:
TRAP_CCACHE 00000001 [FAULT] your GPU has locked up.

Depending on your hardware, kernel and Xorg version you may have
better luck updating one or the other but since you did not say
what you are running exactly it is hard to tell. You can also
peruse the an bugzilla and search for
(probably numerous) reports with similar error messages.

Having neither proprietary NVidia nor xf86-video-nouveau drivers
installed in my Leaps and TWs with various GeForce devices seems
perfectly fine using the built-into-Xorg modesetting driver. People
keep pointing out that the modesetting driver is only 2D, but I can't
grok what 3D is supposed to bring to a two dimensional viewing

Actually, modesetting driver is supposed to give 3D acceleration in
recent X. That unfortunately decreases its stability.

For me Quadro K620 works fine with the default nouveau driver in Leap.
On the other hand a Quadro NVS 295 crashes (almost) immediately with
nouveau and somewhat works with modesetting. Compared to a HD 5670 NVS
295 is super slow and super glitchy and crashes after a few minutes of
running anything related to 3D.

Which means the card is useless since it crashes your system randomly.

Anyway, modesetting driver is what allows experiencing the slowness and
glitchiness at all and seems to be preferred for recent cards