Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed snapshot 20170311
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 07:42:21 +0100
On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 15:37 Ken Schneider - Factory wrote:
Yes, I routinely skip some snapshots but once I upgrade to the latest
all of the new updates from previous snapshots are included in the
latest snapshot.
As an hypothetical example:
latest installed snapshot 0228 has kernel 4.9
snapshot 0305 has kernel 4.10 and also 50 other updates (I read on the
list that are issues with 4.10 for certain CPU's, which I have. I
elect to not install 0305).
snapshot 0310 has kernel 4.10.1 which fixes issue with my CPU.
I elect to upgrade to snapshot 0310 which has the fixed kernel but
also has updates for the 50 packages that were introduced in 0305
that were included in 0305.
Therefore just because I skipped 0305 and went straight to 0310 from
0228 doesn't mean I also skip the 50 updates introduced in 0305
Is my logic right or wrong?

You are right. What Dimstar wanted to say was that last time kernel was
updated was 0310, not 0311, so that if you only noticed the problem
(caused by kernel) after updating to 0311 (as you are responding in
thread about 0311 snapshot), it should only be possible if you skipped
(at least) 0310. Or put in a different way: if an issue only started to
appear after updating from 0310 to 0311, it would have to be caused (or
triggered) by something else than kernel update (because there was none
between those two).

It's a common technique when investigating a regression: you want to
minimize the interval between last known good state and first known
broken one.

Michal Kubeček