Re: [opensuse-factory] Rolling to Leap 42.3

On 03/09/2017 09:45 PM, Dave Plater wrote:

On 09/03/2017 12:21, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Blender changed to python-3.5 March 2016 and looking at boo#1026975 my
instinct say's that soon there will be a few packages unable to be
updated. Libreoffice?

Such is life with longer release cycles. Note that this is also
something in the responsibility of upstreams. If they want their
software to be easily installable on not so bleeding edge operating
systems, they have to be careful in what to require too. So if needed
please raise awareness about the versions we ship.

cu
Ludwig
I'm not sure if bleeding edge applies. python-3.5.1 is part of Ubuntu
16.04 LTS. Blender changes it's minimum python3 version infrequently it
changed to python 3.4 in the middle of 2014 and python 3.5 in March
2016. The end result is users either install from blender.org or change
distribution if they want stability. Is openSUSE:Leap a competitive LTS
distribution?
My point is, it's time to move to python-3.5, which isn't bleeding edge
to remain competitive. Less work for me though, I just have to worry
about blender in Tumbleweed besides I sense that nothing I say is going
to change anything.
Best regards
Dave P

Well soon we will be considering 43.X but I guess this issue is going to
come around for every .3 release and too a lesser extent .2

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30