Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
On Monday 27 February 2017, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-02-27 17:05, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Ruediger Meier wrote:
[...] So if we really want to avoid cron's 15min-wakeup thing
then I would suggest only adding 4 systemd timers
hourly,daily,weekly,monthly which simply call the scripts from
the /etc/cron.* dirs in alphabetically order.

Exactly. Plus moving scripts that are not actually config files
from /etc to /usr. We could for example have someting like
/usr/lib/timers/{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} to abstract away
from systemd timers.

And would placing a script of the same name somewhere under
/etc/timers/ ... supersede the /usr timers?

I would not do something complicated like this again. The extra
complicated systemd timer thing is still there if somebody wants to use
it.

Better /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} are the only directories
being evaluated. They contain just symlinks to the actual scripts.

For example like this:
## /etc/cron.daily/
logrotate -> /usr/lib/logrotate-cronjob
mdadm -> /usr/lib/mdadm-cronjob
online_update -> /usr/lib/YaST2/bin/online_update
suse-clean_catman -> /usr/lib/suse-cronsript/clean_catman
suse.de-backup-rc.config -> /usr/lib/suse-cronsript/backup-rc.config
suse.de-backup-rpmdb -> /usr/lib/suse-cronsript/backup-rpmdb

(The actual scripts (link targets) may have better paths.)

Users can just rename/replace/delete these links or move them to another
directory (e.g. cron.weekly).

Non-parallel/ordered exectution is wanted! For example usually I
rename "online_update" to zzz-online_update to do the backups
_before_ "zypper patch"...

I even have one machine (my backup host) where the last daily cron job
calls "rtcwake" and then "shutdown -h now". (It will wakeup again one
minute before /etc/sysconfig/cron's "DAILY_TIME".)

cu,
Rudi