Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
On Monday 27 February 2017, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Sun, Feb 26, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Well, as cron is not broken, works fine and is understood, and the
distro will keep having it available for people that prefer it,
what need do we have to migrate the system cron jobs to systemd?
What benefit do we obtain?

If you think about single purpose operating systems, it would make
absolutly sense to migrate anything to systemd timer and drop cron.
Like we currently do for SUSE CaaS Platform.

But for a multi-purpose OS, it doesn't make any sense, because you
still need the cron service.

Even in the generic case it doesn't matter what daemon actually runs
/etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly}. As long as the scripts are
run as expected nobody should care whether it's cron or systemd. So
we could easily get rid of cron in a minimal install at least.

Hopefully not removing DAILY_TIME functionality in /etc/sysconfig/cron.

And of course we still need to keep
/etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly} for compatibility because it's
not only used by distrubution but by admin's custom scripts.

Beside this I personally don't like that distribution's units, timers,
etc. are usually installed into /usr. In past mostly everything which
happens on a system could be found in /etc. Nowadays weird services or
timers might be installed by updates or new packages and watching /etc
(even using git) became useless.

The
shell script that wakes up every 15 minutes just to find out that
there's nothing to do deserves to be reworked after 19 years of
service :-)

I can't remember any issues since at least 15 years. Maybe this is one
good reason to keep it as is.

BTW on my 42,2 systems I can see only one active timer:
systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service

... and this service is really bad in comparison to the
old "clean-tmpfiles script". The old one was carefully developed over
years and did not removed active sockets for example.

So if we really want to avoid cron's 15min-wakeup thing then I would
suggest only adding 4 systemd timers hourly,daily,weekly,monthly which
simply call the scripts from the /etc/cron.* dirs in alphabetically
order.

cu,
Rudi