Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Sun, Feb 26, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Well, as cron is not broken, works fine and is understood, and the
distro will keep having it available for people that prefer it, what
need do we have to migrate the system cron jobs to systemd? What
benefit do we obtain?

If you think about single purpose operating systems, it would make
absolutly sense to migrate anything to systemd timer and drop cron.
Like we currently do for SUSE CaaS Platform.

But for a multi-purpose OS, it doesn't make any sense, because you
still need the cron service.

Even in the generic case it doesn't matter what daemon actually runs
/etc/cron.{hourly,daily,weekly,monthly}. As long as the scripts are
run as expected nobody should care whether it's cron or systemd. So
we could easily get rid of cron in a minimal install at least. The
shell script that wakes up every 15 minutes just to find out that
there's nothing to do deserves to be reworked after 19 years of
service :-)

cu
Ludwig

--