Re: [opensuse-factory] opensuse factory (2017.02.24) want to remove not installed packages.....

On 2017-02-27 02:55, Felix Miata wrote:

you have to be aware of what zypper does, in order to use it
reliably.
There's a limit to the amount of awareness required of a mere
mortal user.

Zypper will complain of errors with applications, regardless of
you "only" using packages.
The very reason for the OP!

I know.

How does it get decided which package(s) comprise(s) an
"application"?

Packagers do.

That's who, not how. Maybe missing or defective instructions as to
how is why these messages exist, causing threads like $SUBJECT to
occur.

As I said, it is work in progress.

As some other said (sorry, I do not remember who, it is 4 AM en route
to bed after watching a Star Trek movie), the main repos contain the
metadata for "applications". Extra repos may or may not.

If you install a firefox package that doesn't contain metadata that
says "I am the firefox application", then the package manager thinks
that the package "firefox" is installed, but that the application
"firefox" is missing. And thus it complains.

The issue now is that now you have to fulfil both package and
application dependencies.

I want some details, case in point, google-carlito-fonts:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-02/msg00817.html

I don't know.

I know that I want much fewer fonts than I have, selecting one is a
nightmare. Removing them is impossible, zypper complains.

Zypper's been working well for me for the entirety of its
existence. These "application" installation and removal messages
only started appearing in zypper transactions the past year or two,
or at least, I don't remember seeing them longer ago in my many
years of use.

I know.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,