Re: [opensuse-factory] opensuse factory (2017.02.24) want to remove not installed packages.....
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 01:11:57 +0100 (CET)

El 2017-02-26 a las 09:27 -0500, Felix Miata escribió:
Felix Miata composed:
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar composed on 2017-02-25 10:18 (UTC+0100):

So, applications and packages *are* the same thing?

No.

You could say "I want to install the libre office writer", which is an
application. And you do, not needing to know which packages need to be
installed.

There are multiple language failures here. Your response, using confusing grammar, is restating a portion of what I originally wrote. Dominique wrote in effect that nothing I wrote was correct. I replied WRT a single obviously correct point, which should have generated a clarification from Dominique about what part(s) was/were and what part(s) was/were not wrong, but did not, at least as yet.

More to the point, when I'm using zypper, I'm working with rpm packages,

Well, no. Zypper can also work with "applications". You could tell zypper that you want to install the application "writer", and zypper would figure out what rpms it needs to install to fulfill that request.

This is work in progress, I do not know if zypper can or not do this yet.

minas-tirith:~ # zypper se -t application writer

S | Name | Summary | Type - --+--------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+------------
| FocusWriter | Fullscreen word processor
| application
i | LibreOffice Writer | Word processor part of the LibreOffice productivity
suite | application
| MultiWriter | Write an ISO file to multiple USB devices at once
| application
minas-tirith:~ #

minas-tirith:~ # zypper install -t application "LibreOffice Writer"
Reading installed packages...
'application:LibreOffice Writer' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'application:LibreOffice Writer-.noarch'. The highest
available version is already installed.
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
minas-tirith:~ #

See? Zypper can also install "applications". :-)

Try:

zypper info -t application "LibreOffice Writer"

and couldn't care less whether or which include anything which someone defines as an "application". Seeing a message that some versionless Firefox "application" is being removed, or installed, at the same time as a message that the already installed firefox-esr is being upgraded is nothing but confusion, and thus useless, unless generating confusion is the goal of multiple monikers for single tools.

I agree that it is confusing.

Is it possible that there is or can be added some option in zypp.conf or zypper.conf that can suppress messages about "applications" when using zypper?

But devs want to iron out the issues with applications :-p

- -- Cheers
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >