Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
On Sonntag, 26. Februar 2017 16:08:26 CET Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Sun, Feb 26, nicholas wrote:
(to both points): evidence/examples/references? arch wiki gives
overwhelming advantages for systemd timers.

I suggest to use it yourself and don't trust any wikis without
questioning, why this wiki article was written.

systemd timer don't send you the output via mail by default.

And cron by default does not send output to any mail address I regularly read,
as is likely true for most other linux users. I considersending mail to an
unread local mail account - requiring some local mail delivery - a bug, not a
feature.

systemd timer do already run very early in the boot phase,
means you have to make sure that your dependencies are correct.

Its clearly better to rely on required dependencies to exist by using an
essentially random delay until running jobs, instead of specifying
dependencies.

Daily systemd timer run always at 00:00:00

OnCalendar="daily" is only a shortcut for OnCalendar="*-*-* 00:00:00". I think
you are able to figure out the correct syntax for running a timer daily on
4am.

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns / Bergstraße 21 / 52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034 mobile: +49 151 50412019