Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?

On February 26, 2017 8:16:57 PM GMT+01:00, Andrei Borzenkov
<arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
26.02.2017 22:13, Rüdiger Meier пишет:
BTW I still have
not understood if user timers would run for sure if I'm not logged
in.

Not by default. systemd spawns one instance per user when first user
session is opened. Once all sessions are terminated, user instance is
shut down (stopping all units) unless lingering is enabled for this

And already running jobs are just killed?

user. Enabling lingering is privileged operation.

When lingering is enabled for a user, user instance is started when
system boots and persists until system is shutdown.

Does this mean there would be 1000 extra processes if I want to use systemd
timers instead of cron for 1000 users? Sounds very stupid.

cu,
Rudi