Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?

On 02/26/2017 07:49 PM, nicholas wrote:
On Sunday, 26 February 2017 19:22:13 CET Carlos E. R. wrote:

Well, as cron is not broken, works fine and is understood, and the
distro will keep having it available for people that prefer it, what
need do we have to migrate the system cron jobs to systemd? What
benefit do we obtain?

Why at all dedicate any effort to the migration? For the novelty?

for one reason it gives a really nice interface of all jobs active/non-active,

Really nice interface? Converting my crontab to systemd timers would require me to create hundreds of files. What a pain. BTW I still have not understood if user timers would run for sure if I'm not logged in. Cron just works perfectly on any existing operating system. Very easy to migrate. I have no motivation to learn different interfaces on different Linux distributions and other operating systems.

last run, next run with i assume superior journal integration. from hazy
recolections cron gives very poor overview, not so easy to understand failures

Crontabs are much more easy to read. You don't even need a systemd system and it's tools to create a simple list of jobs and dates. I have one auto-updated git directory containing years of history of all crontabs of all my machines and users. That's what I call a comfortable nice overview of what's going on.

and is not so easy to debug. and like i said duplicated sub-systems does not
make for cleaner system.

The duplication was introduced by systemd.

cu,
Rudi