Re: [opensuse-factory] why is tumbleweed still using cron?
26.02.2017 22:05, Mathias Homann пишет:
Am Sonntag, 26. Februar 2017, 19:49:14 CET schrieb nicholas:
On Sunday, 26 February 2017 19:22:13 CET Carlos E. R. wrote:
Well, as cron is not broken, works fine and is understood, and the
distro will keep having it available for people that prefer it, what
need do we have to migrate the system cron jobs to systemd? What
benefit do we obtain?

Why at all dedicate any effort to the migration? For the novelty?

for one reason it gives a really nice interface of all jobs
active/non-active, last run, next run with i assume superior journal
integration. from hazy recolections cron gives very poor overview, not so
easy to understand failures and is not so easy to debug. and like i said
duplicated sub-systems does not make for cleaner system.

...how does a regular (i.e. non-root) user install a systemd timer for
himself?

Place it in ~/.config/systemd/user or ~/.local/share/systemd/user and
run "systemctl --user enable my-own.timer"?