Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: X broken with 20170204, system unusable
On Die, 2017-02-07 at 08:09 -0600, Malcolm wrote:
Hi
Based on my experience with my Mullins R5 (GCN 1.1) card your cards
are GCN 1.0, and guess fight for driver control, I needed to create
a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf file containing;

Section "Device"
   Identifier "AMD Graphics Core Next GPU"
   Driver "amdgpu"
   Option "DRI" "3"
   Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

And blacklist the radeon driver with a /etc/modprobe.d/50-radeon.conf
file containing;

blacklist radeon

Rebuild initrd with mkinitrd and reboot....

This tip solved the immediate problem of broken X on my Temash-based
netbook (A4-1450 APU, Radeon HD 8250) at the time - thanks! It only had
the unfortunate side effect of breaking resume from sleep, because the
display stayed black.

With the latest Tumbleweed updates, however, I have undone these
adjustments, and that makes the system work normally again, including
resume from sleep. I guess the update to xorg-x11-server in 20170215
fixed it.

In fact, it now works better than before: It used to be that, on
resume, the lock screen would have weird colors, looking a bit like a
film negative. That's gone now, too.

Regards,
Olav