Re: [opensuse-factory] App startup screen 1,2
* Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-18-17 20:02]:
Patrick Shanahan composed on 2017-02-14 18:35 (UTC-0500):

I have done some remodeling and moved my computer equipment to a different
location where my secondary large display is on the left rather than the
right. Why don't applications that always opened in the primary display
now want to open on the secondary?
It's not clear what your complaint actually is.

In my previous thread post, Firefox opened in the logical left display, on
top of auto-reopened Konsole at screen position 0,0, regardless which was
primary. I made no attempt to move Firefox off of Konsole after opening it,
leaving it positioned where it opened.

Testing now in TW/KDE3 instead of TW/Plasma, using
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --primary --mode 1920x1200 --output HDMI-1 --mode
1920x1080 --left-of DVI-I-1
Konsole auto-reopened where left open, logical left (0,0). Firefox opened
initially at 0,0, but after moving its window to the logical right screen
(1920,0), then closing, it reopened where closed at logical right (1920,0).

I closed FF, then restarted X using
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --primary --mode 1920x1200 --output HDMI-1 --mode
1920x1080 --right-of DVI-I-1
Konsole auto-reopened on logical left (0,0). Firefox opened where closed, on
logical right (1920,0).

I closed FF, then restarted X using
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --primary --mode 1920x1080 --output DVI-I-1 --mode
1920x1200 --left-of HDMI-1
Konsole auto-reopened on logical left (0,0). Firefox opened where closed, on
logical right (1920,0).

I closed FF, then restarted X using
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --primary --mode 1920x1080 --output DVI-I-1 --mode
1920x1200 --right-of HDMI-1
Konsole auto-reopened on logical left (0,0). Firefox opened where closed, on
logical right (1920,0).

I closed FF, then rebooted, back to TW/Plasma, leaving X to auto-start in
1400x1050 mirroring mode. Konsole auto-reopened on logical left (0,0).
Firefox reopened maximized. De-maximizing it moved to lower right corner. I
moved it to upper right corner.

I closed FF, then restarted X using
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --primary --mode 1920x1200 --output HDMI-1 --mode
1920x1080 --left-of DVI-I-1
Konsole auto-reopened on logical left (0,0). Firefox opened exactly where
closed, with its upper right corner at 1400,0. I moved it to put its upper
right corner at 3840,0.

I closed FF, then restarted X using
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --primary --mode 1920x1200 --output HDMI-1 --mode
1920x1080 --right-of DVI-I-1
Konsole auto-reopened on logical left (0,0). Firefox opened where closed, on
logical right to the right, upper right corner at 3840,0.

I closed FF, then restarted X using
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --primary --mode 1920x1080 --output DVI-I-1 --mode
1920x1200 --left-of HDMI-1
Konsole auto-reopened on logical left (0,0). Firefox opened where closed, on
logical right to the right, upper right corner at 3840,0.

I closed FF, then restarted X using
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --primary --mode 1920x1080 --output DVI-I-1 --mode
1920x1200 --right-of HDMI-1
Konsole auto-reopened on logical left (0,0). Firefox opened where closed, on
logical right to the right, upper right corner at 3840,0. Then I opened
Konq. It opened on logical right screen in the vacant upper left corner,
1920,0. I opened 'kcmshell5 fonts', which fell in the middle of the logical
left screen, mostly over Konq's right side. I moved it to the lower left of
the logical left screen. I opened KCalc, which slammed against the vacant
upper right edge of Konq on the logical left screen. I opened Kate. It
jumped into the lower right corner of the logical left screen, overlapping
the right side window decoration of Konsole but otherwise into vacant area.
I opened SeaMonkey. It too landed in the lower right of the (primary)
logical left screen. I moved it to the lower left of the logical right
screen, closed it, reopened it, and it landed where I left it in the lower
left of the logical right screen.

Not expecting GTK apps to behave precisely as QT/KDE apps would, I don't see
anything to complain about.

My equipment:
27" Samsung 1920x1080 on desktop PRIMARY Display
55" Samsung 4k TV on wall to left

on boot, several apps want to always start on the non-primary left display,
korganizer, oocalc, tkremind, gapcmon

xrandr --output DVI-I-3 --primary --mode 1920x1080 --output HDMI-0 --mode
1920x1080 --left-of DVI-I-3

properly represents my setup and is set in:
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/40-proper-screen-position.sh

but not yet tested. (will be next boot).

tks
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2 Registered Linux User #207535

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo @ http://linuxcounter.net