Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed snapshot question
On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:20 AM, nicholas <ndcunliffe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday, 12 February 2017 20:46:45 CET Mathias Homann wrote:
Am Sonntag, 12. Februar 2017, 08:40:48 CET schrieb emanuel:
"This sort of setup should be handled with repo priorities........" +1 ,
works for me too,
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/30dd705885209facfac0996fd96b069f

+100. if not more.

I have TWENTY SIX repos configured in my desktop pc. All sorted into
wellbehaving by giving them proper priorities. I just ran a live upgrade
directly from 13.2 to Leap 42.2, skipping 42.1, no problems.

since im quite new perhaps you could confirm my understanding:

the libblueray example appears to conflate installation with updating, as does
the use of priorities.

from UXI perspective for new and non-expert users, (understanding that repo
"hygiene" often isnt that good). the 2 methods for UPDATING appear to be:
1 - use zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change [the end]
2 - priorites:
a) learn about the use of priorities and how packages are resolved.
b) understand the contents of each repo.
c) perform security checks at each update to ensure any OBS packages etc havnt
added tainted security critical software.
d) if one-click-install is used, understand everything in the new repo and go
into system and change the priority for the new repo to the "correct one".
e) "know" what is the correct presidence for many different repos. the number
of different combinations is exponentially large and as such can never be
prescribed.
f) know what to do if 2 repos are non-orthogonal i.e. if you want one package
from 1 repo but another package from a second repo

and we should advocate number 2?

I thought most have been advocating option 1. But there is always
option 2 if you want to have more involvement in the update process.

If a package has a DRM issue, the openSUSE repos may not contain the
version that accesses the DRM protected content. Packman libraries,
however, will probably allow access. So, it is quite common that one
gets media apps from Packman. If the openSUSE repo gets a new version
before Packman, zypper may want to install that newer version. If you
allow that, you may no longer be able to access DRM content. So, once
you have decided to use the package from Packman, you probably want to
stay with it. Even if the openSUSE repo may get a new version before
Packman. This is true of many packages for various reasons. The
--no-allow-vendor-change just means that zypper should not update a
package from a different repo without asking if that is what you
really want.

Roger Oberholtzer